Do You Have Chronic Headaches? Call Your Dentist.
According to leadingdentist.com in the U.S. headaches are the number one health complaint. It is estimated that 50 million people suffer from chronic headaches. Many of those people turn to over-the-counter pain medications but find no relief. Many struggle with a reduced quality of life, they miss work or school regularly due to headaches. Headaches are often misdiagnosed and misunderstood.
While there are many possible causes for chronic headaches many people who suffer have undiagnosed TMJ dysfunction. Your temporomandibular joint is one of the most complicated joints in your body. It is basically a hinge that connects your jaw bone to the temporal bones of your skull. It allows you to move your jaw up and down as well as from side to side. This allows you to speak, chew food, and yawn.
Common symptoms of TMJ
- Tension or migraine headaches
- Sore muscles in the face and jaw
- Clicking and popping noises in the jaw joint
- Pain in the neck, shoulders and upper back
- Ringing in the ears
- Dizziness or vertigo
- Tingling of the arms or fingertips
Why should you see your dentist for headaches?
Dr. Rudnick is interested in treating the cause of your headaches and not just the symptoms. He will do a thorough exam to determine if you have TMJ disorder and recommend to you how to best treat the underlying cause of your chronic headaches. Typically he will treat your TMJ in the following ways:
- Relieve muscle pain and spasms– Dr. Rudnick will use computerized muscle relaxing instruments (TENS Unit) to determine your correct bite, resting position and path of closure.
- Stabilize the bite–Dr. Rudnick uses state-of-the-art technology to determine if your symptoms are caused by malocclusion (misaligned bite) and to find the optimal position for your jaw.
- Manage the bite long-term– a plan is put into place that will continue to monitor and adjust treatment to keep your bite aligned in it’s most comfortable postion.
You deserve a pain free life!
No one should have to suffer with chronic headaches. For more information about how Dr. Rudnick can help click here. Why not make an appointment today? You can request an appointment here or give us a call at 561-625-1991. We would love the chance to help you!